Pet travel to Sweden is subject to the rules of the European Union Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), making travelling with a pet dog or cat to Sweden from another European Union (EU) member state very simple. No need to panic if you reside in a country that isn’t a member of the EU PETS scheme, as the requirements for entering Sweden with a pet dog, cat or ferret are clearly stipulated for countries across the globe. So if you’re taking your dog on an Swedish adventure soon, or relocating to Sweden with your cat, here’s the information you need for importing a pet to Sweden.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
- Pet travel to Sweden from another EU country
- Pet travel to Sweden from a non-EU country
- Travelling to Sweden with more than 5 pets
- Pet-Friendly travel options to Sweden by plane, train & ferry
- Travelling from the United Kingdom to Belgium with a pet
- Pets travelling without their owner
- Related Pages
Pet travel to Sweden from another EU country
In order to travel from another EU member state to Sweden, your cat, dog or ferret must have:
- A working Microchip (in line with the technical requirements of Annex II of the EU Regulation on the movement of pets), or has a clearly readable tattoo if applied before 3 July 2011
- been vaccinated against Rabies
- a valid EU issued Pet Passport
Pet travel to Sweden from a non-EU country
With a few exceptions, your pet dog or cat can travel with you to Sweden from a non-EU country if they have:
- a working Microchip (in line with the technical requirements of Annex II of the EU Regulation on the movement of pets), or has a clearly readable tattoo if applied before 3 July 2011
- been vaccinated against Rabies
- an Animal Health Certificate, or a Pet Passport that was issued by an EU member state
You can also use a Pet Passport issued in one of the following countries to travel to Sweden:
- Faroe Islands
- San Marino
- Vatican City State
Travelling to Sweden with more than 5 pets
Under the rules of the EU Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), you can enter Sweden with up to 5 pets as long as each pet meets the stated requirements for travel. If you are travelling to Sweden with more than five pets (dogs, cats or ferrets) you must provide proof that:
- they are participating in a competition, exhibition or sporting event (by providing for example a registration document) and
- they are more than 6 months old
Pet-Friendly travel options to Sweden by plane, train & ferry
Available options for travel to Sweden with a cat, dog or ferret depend on your country of origin. However, you’ll be pleased to know that pet transport methods to Sweden are widely available, including airlines, ferry companies and train services.
Travelling from the United Kingdom to Belgium with a pet
As the United Kingdom (UK) is no longer part of the European Union (EU) following Brexit, the regulations for taking a cat, dog or ferret from the UK (Scotland, England, Wales & Northern Ireland) to Sweden changed. This resulted in separate rules for the countries that form Great Britain (Scotland, England & Wales) and Northern Ireland (NI). Pet travel regulations were differentiated between Scotland, England & Wales and the EU and Northern Ireland in order to avoid a ‘hard’ border post-Brexit between Northern Ireland and the Ireland.
Some of the airlines, ferry companies and trains offering pet friendly routes directly to, with connections, or arriving close to Sweden from the UK include:
Importing a pet to Sweden from Scotland, England or Wales
- You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped.
- Vaccinate your dog, cat or ferret against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated.
- Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.
- Visit your vet to get an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.
- Remember that if you’re taking your dog to Sweden on your return to the UK your pooch will need a Tapeworm Treatment 1 to 5 days before arriving on UK soil. Your vet must enter full details on the AHC following treatment.
Taking a pet to Sweden from Northern Ireland (NI)
For the reasons previously mentioned, NI is subject to the same Pet Travel Scheme rules to Sweden as other EU countries. This is due to its shared border with Ireland, an EU member state.
Pets travelling without their owner
As a rule, pets imported to Sweden must travel with their owner. However, the owner may give written permission to another person to accompany their cat, dog or ferret on their behalf. In this case, the owner must be reunited with their pet within 5 days of the cat or dog’s relocation.
Always protect your pet from vector-borne diseases in a foreign country, and remember to leave a review if you’ve travelled to Sweden with your pet cat or dog!